Club News‎ > ‎2012 Archived News‎ > ‎

Borris-lleigh show promise with ten point win

posted 13 Apr 2012, 11:30 by Moneygall GAA   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 10:36 ]
Borris-Ileigh made light work of their first outing in the North Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship on Sunday afternoon when they cantered to a ten-point win over a lacklustre Moneygall.


The men in maroon were stronger and more skilful in almost every area of the field and led from the 12th minute to the finish after recovering from a hesitant start. Philip Maher and Paddy Stapleton formed a strong spine to the defence and thwarted almost every   effort by their opponents to put scores on the board. Stapleton, wearing the number six, also managed to register two points from play.


That Moneygall only managed to register four of their total of eleven points from play was also a credit to the virtual impenetrable bulwark mounted by players like Sean McCormack, Martin Maher and Sean Maher who all put in solid showings.


Brendan Maher and Vincent Stapleton dominated the exchanges at   midfield without really having to unduly extend themselves. After a steady hour, Maher finished with a flourish when he soloed thirty metres, shaking off at least three Monegyall players before blasting over the bar.


Borris-Ileigh’s half forward line was particularly impressive, especially David O’Connor and Mark Bourke who were a constant threat on their respective wings. Bourke wore his title of captain admirable as he spent most of the time setting up scoring opportunities for those around him, as well as popping over two points from play.


David O’Connor was deadly from frees, hitting over 0-8, in addition to two more from play, before he was eventually called ashore in the 52nd minute. But by this stage Borris’ had the game well and truly wrapped up, leading by double scores (0-18 to 0-9).


The maroons had sharp shooters aplenty. Five of the forwards registered scores and substitute Tommy Kavanagh hit over a point just after he was introduced for the excellent O’Connor with eight minutes remaining.


Borris’ led by 0-11 to 0-5 at the break after playing against the breeze and reemerged to stick over another four unanswered points, and dash any hopes of a Moneygall revival. But in the characteristic fighting spirit Moneygall never gave up the ghost. They shook themselves up sufficiently to out-score Borris by 0-6 to 0-4 over a fifteen minute period.


Alas, their revival, which was spearheaded by Pajo Troy, Willie Greene   and Eamon McCormack, fell far short of what was required to really ruffle Borris, who were sufficiently dominant to afford the luxury of stepping off the gas for a while.


Despite their brief dip they were always comfortably ahead. They stirred themselves again in the end to finish off with a gallop when Maher and Benny Harkin had a point apiece without reply.


Moneygall were always going to find the going tough as they had to field without regular defenders Cathal and Diarmuid Kennedy, forcing them to re-jig their line-up and move several players from their habitual positions.

While they will understandably be disappointed, they can take some compensation from their opponents failure to score a goal. Their strongest area of the field was in defence were Brendan Toohey and Pajo Troy, in particular, showed plenty of spark.


Unfortunately, they were woefully lacking in penetration up front where five of their six forwards failed to score. Willie Greene, with just a point, was the only one to score from play, but he did register a further six from placed balls.


Moneygall have a very unsettled look about them and need to improve a lot if they are to make an impact in the championship. Adding to their woes was their wastage of some golden scoring opportunities, particularly in the second half when they had the chance to make hay when Borris went off the boil for a period.

















Match Digest

Man of the Match: David O’Connor (Borris-Ileigh)


Scorers: Borris-Ileigh: David O’Connor 0-10, 8 frees; Paddy Stapleton, Benny Harkin, Mark Bourke 0-2 each; Martin Maher, Brendan Maher, Dan McCormack, Keith Ryan, Tommy Kavanagh, 0-1 each. Moneygall: Willie Greene 0-7, 6 frees; Eamon McCormack 0-3; Pajo Troy 0-1 free.


Borris-Ileigh: Jody Harkin (7); Rory Kinane (6), Philip Maher (8), Sean Maher (7); Sean McCormack (7), Paddy Stapleton (8), Martin Maher (8); Brendan Maher (8), Vincent Stapleton (7); Mark Bourke (Capt, 8), Aidan Cowen (6), David O’Connor (9); Benny Harkin (8), Dan McCormack (7), Keith Ryan (7). SUBS: Thomas Fahy (6) for P Stapleton (45); Thomas Kavanagh (7) for O’Connor (52).


Moneygall: Ciaran Quinlan (7); Ger Ryan (6), Sean Ryan (7), Mike Ryan (7); Brendan Toohey (8), Eoin Troy (7), Pajo Troy (Capt, 8); Eamon McCormack (8), Conor Ryan (7); Ger Kirwan (7), Willie Greene (8), Phil Fanning (6); Jody Troy (6), Paddy Fanning (6), Tommy Devereux (6). SUB: Michael Bergin (6) for E Troy (40).


Referee: Philip Kelly (Ballinahinch).


Report by Peter Gleeson, Nenagh Guardian

Photos by Andy Jay