Club News‎ > ‎2012 Archived News‎ > ‎

Moneygall claim first silverware of 2012

posted 9 Mar 2012, 00:52 by Moneygall GAA   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 10:52 ]
Moneygall captured the Hogan Cup for the first time when they defeated Kilruane MacDonaghs in a well-contested final on Sunday afternoon.
Phil Fanning’s goal, just before half time proved to be the difference. It gave Moneygall a three-point lead at the break which they maintained to the final whistle.


Full credit to the Moneygall for the manner of their win. They were more economical with the ball taking most of their opportunities. They took an early lead but were forced on the back foot for a period of the first half when Ray McLoughney   blasted a twenty metre free to the net in the 10th minute.


However the next 35 minutes saw Moneygall outscore their opponents by 1-7 to 0-3. Moneygall’s point taking was a notable feature where Eamon McCormack was especially good as the midfielder picked up three superb scores from various distances. Willie Greene added two points from play to emerge as his team’s top scorer.


Midfielder Michael Bergin covered a lot of ground and produced one or two score saving tackles as Michael Ryan and Pajo Troy proved most effective   at half back. Martin Deane, Sean Ryan and Cathal Kennedy were very reliable on the inside backline giving their goalkeeper, Ciaran Quinlan plenty of cover. Elsewhere Eoin Greene, Paddy Fanning, Phil Fanning and Stephen Maher gave it their all.

It wasn’t Kilruane’s day. Lining out without such players as Brian O’Meara, Niall O’Meara, Pat Williams and Shane Quinlan causes its own problems. In addition, both Seamus Hennessey and Eoin Hogan appear to be on the long term injury list.


But on the day, it was their shooting that simply let them down. They hit fourteen wides. Willie Cleary had an outstanding   first half with Kevin Ryan producing a lot of clearances on the other wing. Diarmuid Cahill was steady at centre back while Paudie Kelly, Martin Walsh and Eanna Hogan were reliable in the full back line. David Reddan was sound except for one error in the second half which led to a Moneygall score. Justin Cahill was busy at midfield while Jonathon Cahill got in his fair share of work and Pat Conway was Kilruane’s busiest forward.


Moneygall had use of the stiff breeze in the opening half as the game began in a shower of hail. Moneygall wasted no time in applying pressure on the Kilruane goalmouth and earned a 65 which   Willie Greene converted in the opening minute. The next few minutes saw both defences remain undaunted until a sixth minute score by Willie Greene doubled his team’s lead.


Four minutes later, Kilruane won a twenty metre free in front of goal and Ray McLoughney blasted for a goal. Colm Williams added a point a minute later. Kilruane began to move more freely but failed to increase their lead. Moneygall had greater success at the other end with Eamon McCormack pointing from play followed by a long range free by captain, Pajo Troy.


Kilruane responded but increased their tally of wides to six. Moneygall had just two at this stage   as Eamon McCormack ran on to Ciaran Quinlan’s puckout to score a great point after 25 minutes. One minute later, Pat Conway won a free and McLoughney levelled.


Approaching half time, Moneygall won a twenty metre free. Willie Greene went low, David Reddan saved but full forward, Phil Fanning was in to tap home the rebound as Moneygall led 1-5 to 1-2 at the break.


Kilruane welcomed the help of the breeze for the second half but Eoin Greene increased Moneygall’s lead with a point after three minutes. Kilruane responded with a Pat Conway point. Willie Greene replied with a pointed free and Moneygall then went five   clear after Eamon McCormack scored another fine point.

Pat Conway replied with a 43rd minute point but one minute later, Willie Greene put five between the teams again. Moneygall would not score again as Kilruane rallied but wasted further opportunities. Their next score arrived through a Ray McLoughney free on 50 minutes. One minute later they were three in arrears when Kevin Quinlan scored.
The next nine minutes had both sets of defences under more pressure with neither side willing to give in as Moneygall held on for victory with captain Pajo Troy received the Hogan Cup from North Board Chairman, John McGrath.
Liam Hogan - Nenagh Guardian